Am i in danger?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Sep 22 04:23:09 EDT 2003

I believe that slackware doesn't start proftpd by default (if you've
got that installed). Same thing should be true for uw ftp.

If you want to find out what services are running, look at
/etc/inetd.conf.

If you don't want something running, just put a hash mark (#) in front
of it. If you modified the file do
killall -HUP inetd
(note the capitalization). This will make inetd reread it's file.

For anything else, look through /etc/rc.d (I.E. rc.sendmail, rc.httpd,
rc.sshd, ETC), and do for example
./rc.httpd stop
to stop the apache server.

If you want to prevent some rc.d scripts from being run every time you
boot, I think the best way would be to just take away their execute
permissions
chmod -x rc.httpd
or better yet, go through /var/log/packages, and remove anything you
don't need by doing
removepkg package_name
. That way, things won't get started without you wanting them to.

That should do it, and I hope someone will correct me if I messed
something up. I haven't had to install slackware from scratch for a
while now, so I might have forgotten a thing or 2.

Greg