OT: Swap File Sizes

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Sep 19 13:05:17 EDT 2003

But, doesn't it diminish in usefulness at some point? Would you create a
2Gb swap partition on a machine with 1Gb of RAM?

I'm currently running with no swap and have seen no ill effects (as far
as I know, anyway). This includes running several simultaneous compiles
where top reports RAM usage up in the 90% range.

Id like to see a definitive HOWTO on swap under current computing
conditions. Everything I've run across seems to have been written with
16Mb, or 32Mb systems in mind.