I'm sorry, but I'm desperet

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Sep 17 23:26:20 EDT 2003

By asking if Chris had read the docs, I was simply attempting to
determine which parts of the configuration he was specifically having
trouble with. Configuring alsa can be an involved process, and I
didn't want to give an unnecessarily long explanation, when I could
have spent the same amount of time addressing a particular issue in
more detail.

Also, I am finding that I need to ask people if they have read the
documentation, as unfortunate as that may be. The sad fact is that
most people expect someone else to do everything for them, while they
expect to learn nothing about it, and take advantage of the other
person's work on their behalf at the same time. I don't mind teaching
and explaining whatever I can. However I do mind if someone just
expects me to do all the work for them because they're to
lazy/impatient to read up on the procedure themselves. Note that I am
not implying here that Chris has either of these traits, I am just
stating what I have met with, when asked to help someone with
something in the past.

While I also understand that newbys can be frustrated if something
doesn't work as expected (I was there myself once), lashing out at
someone who bothers to take their free time to try and help you, may
discourage that individual in the future from trying to help others,
and that wouldn't be to any person's advantage.

Greg