append to a text file

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Sep 6 06:28:11 EDT 2003

Well, not to split hairs or anything, but that is not really
appending one file to another. It is concatenating two files and
putting the result into a third. To clarify, what if I had a file
called "collection" and I wanted to append stuff to it from time
to time, always keeping the name "collection" for the
accumulation of all the stuff I might append there?

Granted, the double greater-than is dangerous because it is easy
to forget to double it, which means you kiss the older stuff
bye-bye, but we already know that Linux assumes you know what you
are doing.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Guy Abandon. wrote:

> I agree with the basic though for safety would have said:-
>
> $ cat file1 file2 >file3
>
> GA!

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)
 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh