booting problem

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Fri Sep 5 06:10:48 EDT 2003

I need help recovering from a real piece of stupidity. A friend
with Windows on her primary drive wanted to install Slackware 9.0
on a secondary 40 GB drive, and everything went like clockwork
until the stupidity kicked in (my stupidity):

1. We tried creating a boot floppy when prompted, but it failed
because the floppy was not big enough. and

2. We installed Lilo on the superblock of the root partition on
the secondary disk instead of the MBR of the primary disk.

Imagine our surprise when we could not boot into Linux.

I hope someone has a magic solution for us, so we can get into
the new Linux installation long enough to put Lilo where it
belongs. We have the full CD set for SW 9.0 which includes two
bootable CD's, the installation disk and a nifty rescue disk. Are
there some boot parameters for the loader that can do the trick
for us?

Many thanks for any suggestion, and I promise to work hard on my
stupidity.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)
 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh