ide cd-writer

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Oct 30 11:31:27 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Shaun Oliver wrote:

> hi all, I have here a reco mp70-40a 4x ide cd-writer.
> I'm attempting to run it on debian woody.
> how does one set up scsi emulation for this device?

Assuming it's a stock-standard CD-writer, which it of course may not be,
you need to use IDE-SCSI emulation.  Some people do it as a module but I
compile it in.  Someone else will have to tell you how to do the options
thing to tell it which drive is your CDR if you go the module route.

If you compile the IDE-SCSI stuff in, you have to specify the drive on the
command line.  Mine is /dev/hdc so I have the following in my lilo.conf:

append="speakup_synth=acntpc hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Note that I have HDD as ide-scsi as well because some people think that
this works better than the standard ATAPI driver.  I figure that, whether
it is or it's not, why have two drivers in there that can read my cdrom
when I only need one?  So if you want to do this, don't compile in ATAPI
CDROM support, but then remember that your CDROM will become a SCSI device
name and you'll have to change your /dev/cdrom link if you have one and
that if you don't specify the ide-scsi thing, it won't work at all.

Assuming now that you've done this and the CDRW is the first SCSI device,
you will find the device on /dev/sr0 and the target, ID and LUN for the
device will be 0,0,0.  This is important as you will need to specify this
for cdrecord or cdrdao (dev=0,0,0).  Which drivers you use with these
programs will depend on your device and you may have to experiment a little
to get it working.  Dmesg may help in this regard too.

> btw. how should I enter in the information in /etc/fstab?

Well, unless you want to mount it, then don't bother.  but if you do, you
can use the /dev/sr0 device to reach your CDRW drive.

Geoff.