troubles with alsa drivers

William Hubbs w.hubbs at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 09:34:56 EST 2003

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone here will know the answer to this, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I am running linux 2.6.0-beta9 and the alsa drivers included in it on an old dell desk top that has the CS4610/11 sound chips.  Output from lspci for this sound system is as follows:

00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

When I try to modprobe snd-cs46xx I get the following in dmesg:

PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:0b.0
create - never read codec ready from AC'97
it is not probably bug, try to use CS4236 driver
Sound Fusion CS46xx: probe of 0000:00:0b.0 failed with error -5

I attempted the cs4236 driver, but got no where there either.  Does anyone have any other suggestions to make this sound card work?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

William