Voice synthesizer question

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Oct 29 21:07:51 EST 2003

Ah, let's clear the air a little ...

1.) Kirk has had a TripleTalk to work with for some time now. He's on
the case.

2.)	I am not aware that anyone anywhere is successfully using
TripleTalk with Speakup. Anyone want to prove me wrong? I would be very
glad to be wrong, but I don't think so.

Geoff Shang writes:
> From: Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
>
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Joseph C. Lininger wrote:
>
> > The codes to control it are propriatary, and the
> > manufacturer will not release the specs for some reason. I have no idea
> > why this is, considering they are not losing money by releasing the
> > specs, but they seem to think this is a good idea.
>
> Actually, my understanding is that they want the signing of a
> non-disclosure agreement before releasing the specs.  Of course, this is no
> good to authors of opensource software and we should all get on their case
> about it.  The fact that some people have managed to use the doubletalk LT
> driver to run a tripletalk external would suggest that a lot of the codes
> are the same, but Kirk also needs a box to test with and there may be
> USB-specific stuff that impacts on this.  And I would guess that the
> Tripletalk PC would need proper specs in order to write a driver, it being
> a PCI card.
>
> Geoff.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group