Help with date and redhat 9

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Oct 26 19:03:46 EST 2003

Sima,

I don't believe netdate is slackware specific, but I have no
experience with other distros, so I cannot say how common it is.

If you are using a dialup connection you might want to be careful
about putting your network time command in a crontab, since it
would try to execute whether or not you are connected when its
scheduled time came around. That is why I put mine in the ip-up
script instead of crontab. That script only executes when a ppp
connection is established. I am not sure it is all that necessary
to get the correct time every hour either, unless you are
supervising a space launch or something <smile>. The thing is,
the kernel time mechanism is much more accurate than the battery
operated hardware clock, and ought not to drift much at all over
the period of a day. Perhaps it would matter more if your system
is up continuously for long periods. I boot up each morning and
bring my system down at night, which is when my hardware clock
gets set from the time the kernel is keeping.

Chuck

 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh