Mail server solutions for RedHat?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Oct 25 08:47:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

>   I just wonder if there's a mail server solution for
>   Red Hat? Yes i know there's Sendmail, but is there another one
>   that's easy to configure? (Someone said Sendmail was somewhat hard
>   to configure.)

Mail servers have, to a point, a need to be complex, as they can do a lot
and this takes a bit to configure.  Having said that, I found sendmail just
plain confusing and abandoned it for exim.  I use Debian however which
comes with a fairly well documented default configuration file and a script
to help you configure it.  I can't speak to Red Hat, however.

> Also i wonder if there's a mail server with Pop3, Imap, (not
> necessary) and webmail options?

In the unix world, these things are generally done by seperate pieces.  You
can get the imap server from The University of Washington and I'm guessing
there are other solutions out there.   There are several POP servers
available.  And there are also several webmail packages you can experiment
with.  Have a hunt through your distribution, there's bound to be at least
one of each there.

Geoff.