Sendmail Wpon't work

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 18:17:27 EDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Rejean Proulx wrote:

> Thanks for the answers.  Now I feel silly as I thought I would, but that is
> the cost of being new at something.  Too answer your pop question.  Exim
> doesn't have a pop server, but Debian has packages.  I have outlook express
> almost talking to it.  It can ask for mail.  It can't send yet because I
> need to create a password file.  I'm almost there, I hope.  In the case of
> courier, I tried all its pop options and got nowhere.  At least with exim,
> when I read the manual I understand enough of it to be able to make
> progress.

Yeah, that's why I chose Exim in the first place, some years ago, because
of the nice manual, even if it is quite long.(gron)

> Actually, last weekend I had Outlook express talking to exim using an IMAP
> server.  I don't like IMAP because it is badly implemented in Outlook
> Express.  The server wants to control which folders you have on your machine
> and you seem to have to keep the machine in sync with the mail server.  That
> is ok if you have 2 or 3 machines that you want in sync, but I only have
> one, so IMAP was a frustrating over kill.

Yeah, that's what imap is, and in fact, is one of its strengths if that's
what you need, but yes, for one user in one location it probably is
overkill I agree.

> Basically, you tell me that I wasted my after noon because I didn't know.
> Unfortunately, it won't be the last time I'm sure.  That is the cost of
> learning.  Thanks for the help.  By the way, I tried the period and I can
> now send mail.  I just want to do this for testing purposes, never to send
> real mail, unless of course you write a script to send a message based on
> its success or something.

Rather than send mail like this, I'd recommend looking at the chapter in
the Exim documentation entitled:
"Testing Exim"

This enables you to give Exim command-line options which will enable you
to test things like filtering,  relaying rules etc without actually
sending email - less typing for you.

Also, I'd recommend using the mailx package for sending mail from scripts,
as it's a proper mail client and therefore you can pass it lots of stuff
on the command line, such as the mail subject, and you can also tell it to
include files in the body of the message which is jmore likely to be what
you want in a script.

Also, you will find that things take time, I still find this to be the
case, but I enjoy the challenge and the senses of achievement when I
finally get something to work.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808