[ot] MSN Messenger: if you need it there is still hope

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 17 18:56:59 EDT 2003

Hi.
Just thought everyone would like to know.  If you use centericq for
instant messaging and you have a lot of friends you can't convince to
give up the ubiquitous MSN instant messenger, you may have noticed that
the author of Centericq has thus far decided to avoid potential legal
trouble by not providing support for the new MSN protocol.  This of
course causes problems for those of us who unfortunately need to connect
to this service, that is until now.  I have found the solution to this
problem, and it works great for me, though it is a little involved.  I
will explain.

If anyone is familiar with Jabber, you probably know that some servers
run gateways to verious instant messaging protocols.  Fortunately for
us, the gateways that connect to MSN STILL WORK.  At least one that I
found at JID msn.gate.amessage.de works.  The involved part comes in
now, because Centericq doesn't allow for registration of gateways (also
called transports.)  The good news is that there is a command-line
Jabber client out there called imcom.  If you don't want to look for it,
I have it at

ftp://prince.homelinux.org/software/imcom-1.32.tar.gz

Just setup a Jabber account either through Centericq or through Imcom.
Then in Imcom, log into your account and type

/agenthelp msn.gate.amessage.info

and simply follow the prompts.  Then type
/quit

when you get the IMCOM> prompt and restart Centericq.  You will then get
a lot of authorization requests from your MSN contacts.  Just accept all
the authorizations by pressing "a" on each one.  You are now back on
MSN.

I do hope this helped those of you who needed it, as I asked the
question about this earlier and no one including me knew at the time
that this would work.

P.S.  This will work no matter which Jabber server you have your account
on.

Prince