more ftp problems...

Michael Ryan MichaelRyan at gov.nl.ca
Thu Oct 16 13:40:31 EDT 2003

When I issue the command:
/etc/init.d/vsftp start the server starts up okay.
When I substitute start with stop to shutdown the vsftpd service, which is the correct argument, , I receive a failed message.
What could cause this?
As well, when logged in as root, with the vsftpd service started, I type the following,
ftp pressing enter, open localhost press enter,
results: ftp prompt:  connection refused.
I'm thinking that I can test my setup even though the box is a stand alone with no network connection similar to IIS.