Speakup and international keyboards

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 16 10:08:26 EDT 2003

Terry has given you excellent advice about the generic way of compiling
a custom kernel. It may also be useful to look at how the community of
users do that for your particular distribution of Linux. Now, I have no
idea what distribution you use. Red Hat? Suse? Debian? Slackware? The
point is that you might want to ask this question again, in a distro
specific context.

Terry D. Cudney writes:
> From: "Terry D. Cudney" <terry at CottageInWasaga.com>
>
> Hi Krister,
> > Ok, how do you go about compiling your own custom kernel then? Is this
> > something a total Linux dummy could do without blowing anything up?
> 	It >IS< a daunting task the first time you attempt it, but really it isn't very hard to do...
>
> 		The basic steps are outlined in the file "README" which is included with efvery copy of the kernel source that you get. Get it from:
>
> 	ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/vx.y/linux-x.y.zz.tar.bz2
>
> where the current stable version is: x =2, y=4 (for t and zz=22
>
> 	You can get a lot of help by reading the 'howto's, particularly the kernel-howto on the Linux Documentation Projects website.
>
> 	After you compile a kernel for your particular hardware, you'll need to patch in the speakup from cvs and then repeat the steps from "make config" unsing "make oldconfig" on to get a custom kernel with speakup patched into ti.
>
> 	I believe there is a document  in linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/goodies/  which describes the details of speakup/kernel patching, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone else on the list here can elucidate in that regard.
>
> 	As with most things in Linux, it isn't too hard for a newbie to undertake, but it can be very intimidating due to the "ocean" of information available. Be prepared to spend some time informing yourself (learning) before you actually compile/install your first custom kernel. Don't be overwhelmed. Take your time. Ask question if there is something you don't understand... the folks on this list are great when someone asks a sincere question. Some of us get a little "testy" if it is perceived that hte questioner is looking for answers that are readily available in the documentation, but doesn't want ot do the necesary reading themselves.
> 	You'll get the greatest satisfaction and long-term benefit by laying the foundation of knowledge needed and then building on it.
>

> Enjoy Linux!
>
> 	--terry
>
> --
>
> Name:	Terry D. Cudney
> Phone:	(705) 422-0039
> E-mail:	terry at CottageInWasaga.com
> Web:	www.CottageInWasaga.com
>
> Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
> having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.

> See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group