Speakup and international keyboards

Terry D. Cudney terry at CottageInWasaga.com
Wed Oct 15 12:09:18 EDT 2003

Hi Krister,
> Ok, how do you go about compiling your own custom kernel then? Is this
> something a total Linux dummy could do without blowing anything up?
	It >IS< a daunting task the first time you attempt it, but really it isn't very hard to do...

		The basic steps are outlined in the file "README" which is included with efvery copy of the kernel source that you get. Get it from:

	ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/vx.y/linux-x.y.zz.tar.bz2

where the current stable version is: x =2, y=4 (for t and zz=22

	You can get a lot of help by reading the 'howto's, particularly the kernel-howto on the Linux Documentation Projects website.

	After you compile a kernel for your particular hardware, you'll need to patch in the speakup from cvs and then repeat the steps from "make config" unsing "make oldconfig" on to get a custom kernel with speakup patched into ti.

	I believe there is a document  in linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/goodies/  which describes the details of speakup/kernel patching, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone else on the list here can elucidate in that regard.

	As with most things in Linux, it isn't too hard for a newbie to undertake, but it can be very intimidating due to the "ocean" of information available. Be prepared to spend some time informing yourself (learning) before you actually compile/install your first custom kernel. Don't be overwhelmed. Take your time. Ask question if there is something you don't understand... the folks on this list are great when someone asks a sincere question. Some of us get a little "testy" if it is perceived that hte questioner is looking for answers that are readily available in the documentation, but doesn't want ot do the necesary reading themselves.
	You'll get the greatest satisfaction and long-term benefit by laying the foundation of knowledge needed and then building on it.

Enjoy Linux!

	--terry

--

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(705) 422-0039

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.