Sym Files

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Tue Oct 14 16:30:03 EDT 2003

They are not a way of concatinating directories.  They are a way of having
a file exist in one place, and having another, sort of virtual file,
exist in another place, that references the original file.  That is called
a link.  There are hard links, and sym links.

For example:

Say you created:

/var/www/1.txt

Now, for convenience, you want that same file to appear in your home
directory.  You could just copy it, but then changes to one, would not
take effect in the other.  So instead, you create a link:

ln -s /var/www/1.txt ~/myfile.txt

Let us also say, that a user called John, wanted the same file, only
called "anotherfile.txt", in his home directory:

ln -s /var/www/1.txt ~john/otherfile.txt

Now, every time you access myfile.txt, or otherfile.txt, you are actually
accessing 1.txt.

Regards,

Luke

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Rejean Proulx wrote:

> While trying to configure Mailman it gave me a choice.  Add a line to a
> configuration file or create a symlink in var/www  I'd rather create a
> symlink in /var/www, but I don't know how to create a symlink.  I think
> symlinks are a way of concatenating directories.  How do I create a symlink?
>
>  Rejean Proulx
> Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
> MSN is: rejp at rogers.com
> Ham License VA3REJ

Want a free month of internet access on a great ISP?  Go here:
http://www.tacticus.com/net/