ocrad

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 21:39:40 EDT 2003

You need a PBM file to use with it.  If you have scanimage, you can do
this.  Scanimage is part of the sane package.  It also helps if you can
make a symbolic link from /dev/scanner to the device where your scanner is
attached.  My scanner is SCSI, so I use /dev/sg0.  Then, type this.
 scanimage --resolution 300 --mode Linear > test.pbm
You can then run "ocrad test.pbm | less" to pipe the output through a
pager.  You can also do it without creating a temporary file like this.
scanimage --resolution 300 --mode Linear | ocrad | less
The options to scanimage are to use Linear (which apparently means Black
and White mode,) and a resolution of 300 DPI which is what most OCR
programs seem to like.  These options work with my scanner.