Moving My Windows Mail Server To Exim

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Oct 10 11:04:29 EDT 2003

Exim pretty much drops in as a replacement for sendmail.  It processes
outgoing mail from your machine to everywhere else.  It also takes in
incoming mail received over TCP/IP port 25 from other sources - note
that fetchmail will dump off to smtp port 25 so exim handles that
too.  As for end users to receive mail locally, you would add shell
accounts for them.  Now you have been talking about setting up mailing
lists; I would watch mailman's documentation and hopefully it tells
you how to set up user accounts for the lists.  That's where the
/etc/aliases comes in.  I recall from a long time ago when I ran a
mail list from home here using smartlist and I had to set up a basic
account on my machine called lists and then smartlist set aliaseses to
point to that "dummy user" account.  I would think mailman would do
something similar but with much greater power.