Help With Samba

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Thu Oct 2 15:32:22 EDT 2003

I need help.  I configure Samba and when I access it with Windows XP, the
first time it asks me for a user ID.  I set one up so I enter it and it
happily lists resources for me which are a few folders and a printer folder.
When I select a folder it asks me for a user ID again.  It doesn't not bring
forward the one I enter previously, so I figure that is stupid so I supply
it.  after that it asks again, and again, and again, and again, until I
quit.

Windows is a little different.  It does the same thing except that it tells
me that it is unable to match credentials.  It is interesting that I can get
as far as the list of folders.

If I close it and go back in using Windows XP, it doesn't ask me for the
user ID again before listing the folders because if has obviously
remembered.  When I select a folder, the loop comes. It asks again, and
again, and again.

Here is how I have the folders set up.  I tried turning off the encryption
but that makes it worse.  When I do that, I can't even get to the list of
folders.  Here is how it is set up.

[web]
comment = Web Files
path = /var/www