Your opinions?

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 30 20:59:30 EST 2003

Hi
Well, the command line isn't going anywhere anytime soon, that's not a
concern. Unix and X have always been separated, X is simply another UI, and
it's been that way since before linux was ever started. However, my
concerns follow a similar path. Most of the apps sighted linux users are...
gues what, X-based? With the advent of gnopernicus, some gnome2-based
applications are accessible, but most X apps aren't gnome2-based. In
particular, KDE is a much more popular desktop environment, and access to
that for us is a big fat zero right now. My concern is that, when linux
takes off on the desktop as it surely will in the next few years, we'll be
left out of the loop, since commercial software vendors aren't going to be
concentrating on the command-line market. I know what some of you will say:
Go get an open source solution. But sometimes there just isn't an OS
solution that'll do the trick (OCR, anyone?). I tend to agree with other
listers that say we need a new web browser from the ground up, since lynx
the cat is very old and wasn't designed for many of the modern web
elements. Links the chain is a bit better, but it still isn't up there with
the graphical browsers. There's one bright spot in this though... better
the unix console than the scurge of windblows.

P.S. Did someone say there's a text-based interface to gnome? Where do you
get that, I'd like to try it out.