gnome problems under slackware

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 27 17:59:46 EST 2003

Hi
Did you configure X correctly? My guess is that X locked up either due to lack of configuration or incorrect configuration. Best way is to run xfree86-setup
utility that comes with slack, then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and put in your monitor's horizontal and vertical sync rates if you need to. Also, make sure you
have a mouse plugged in, I've had X lock up on me for having no mouse.
I think you may be going about starting gnome and gnopernicus the wrong way. What you probably want to do is:
1. link /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.gnome to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, this is probably why you only heard a very small bit of hd activity. Gnome was probably not the
default window manager.
2. log in as your user in text mode and issue:
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true
3. export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge:gail-gnome
export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
4. run startx
5. within gnome, press alt+f2 and type gnopernicus and press enter
If everything's set up, that'll make it come up talking. I'd advise adding the export lines to .bash_profile. The gconftool-2 command only needs to be issued
once. You can make gnopernicus start automatically from within gnome's control center accessibility options. Note in general, starting X apps from the
console isn't the best way to do it.
HTH

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:13:51 -0600, Gregory Nowak wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I just installed the gnome and x stuff that comes with slackware 9.1, in hopes of playing with gnopernicus.
>
>When I do either telinit 4, or gdm, speakup starts to talk, and then is cut off.
>
>After the hd spins a bit, I get a beep from my pc speaker. Since I have a bell character in my /etc/issue, I am assuming that's where the beep in question
comes from. I then go ahead and login, by typing my username and password as usual. After that, I hear a very small amount of hd activity, just like I do
when logging in on a text console.

>I then try to do ctrl+alt+f1 to get a text console to start gnopernicus, but I don't get a text console. Can someone please enlighten me on how to bring up a
text console?