spam assassin with maildrop

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Nov 22 13:30:52 EST 2003

Hi all.

I am in the process of setting up spam assassin 2.60. I have a few
questions which the docs don't seem to answer as far as I can tell, so
I hope that someone can help.
I am installing spam assassin for personal use, and not system wide.

1. When I run "perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/sausr SYSCONFDIR=~/saetc", I
get the following message:
Warning: prerequisite HTML::Parser 3.24 not found.
Since I am using the perl that comes with slack 9.0 (perl 5.8.0), I
thought that this was already included.
If it is already included, then should I worry about that message? If
it isn't already included, can someone please tell me where to get it
from?

2. When I run the script mentioned in question 1 above, I get asked:
What email address or URL should be used in the suspected-spam report
text for users who want more information on your filter installation?
(In particular, ISPs should change this to a local Postmaster contact)
default text: [the administrator of that system]
Since I am setting this up again for personal use, and not system
wide, I put in greg at romuald.net.eu.org as the address.
Is this ok, or since I am the admin of romuald.net.eu.org, should I
put in postmaster at romuald.net.eu.org instead?

3. Finally, it looks like the developers are trying to shove procmail
down people's throats. However, I use maildrop for filtering, and not
procmail.
Since I haven't been able to find where spam assassin gets configured
to call the procmail program, can somebody using spam assassin with
maildrop please tell me what I need to change?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Greg