Speakup enabled kernals

Allan Shaw technews at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 13 13:19:41 EST 2003

At 10:56 11/13/03, you wrote:
>Allan Shaw writes:
> > From: Allan Shaw <technews at sympatico.ca>
> >

> > ... Tried logging in to the ftp site with an anonymus id and was unable to
> > get into the site unless I used -
> > www.linux-speakup.org/
> > if I included /ftp/disks/redhat/ it wouldn't let me in.
>
>Using what user agent? I'm wondering if you're accessing over ftp or
>http?
I was/am using wsftp as the client.

>I generally answer these kinds of nebulous questions assuming people
>mean their web browser, therefore http.

First rule of I.T>, never assume and after 20 years in I.T. I've always
found it a good rule to follow.

>If you're logging in with an ftp client, clearly you can use anonymous
>ftp, but the path becomes:
>
>cd pub/speakup/disks/redhat/

I'll give it a try.

> > Went to the page you indicated and all I see was mention of the RH9
> kernals
> > and nothing about RH8 or earlier.
>
>Ah, you did go via http. That's correct, then. I have not built web
>pages for the old stuff, though it's still accessible over ftp.

Actually I went to the page via http based on the link you originally gave
me and then when i didn't see what I suspected I tried ftp.

> > On another note, will speakup-1.5 work on a RH7 version of Linux?
> > ... and if your wondering why I would want to do such a thing, its quite
> > simple.  RH7 will run on the old P166 machine I have kicking around
> here as
> > a WWW/ftp server quite well.
>
>But so will Fedora Core, I should think. The difference might be the
>minimum RAM of 64 Mb. I'm not sure when RH went from 32 to 64.

As far as I've seen, its recommended that you have a PII at least to run
RH9 and I don't remember the memory requirements but I'm limited to a max
of 128 mb assuming I can find any 72 pin 32 mb modules.

>Yes, you can certainly compile Speakup 1.5 into a kernel source from RH
>7.x. However, I would suggest using CVS Speakup even for that. I would
>also suggest getting the latest available kernel src for your RH
>version.
>
>Okay, so what is cvs?
I'm not fully versed on all these Linux based terms yet.

the kernal I'm using initially is version 2.4.20-28.9 and I think it should
work for now.
this is my first Linux system and I figure I will try things out on it
until I get things working and procedures in place and then rebuild the
system from scratch once I know what I'm doing.