broken MP3 playback in Slackware 9.1

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Mon Nov 10 07:00:04 EST 2003

That is really strange. I am just now moving on up to SW 9.1 and
am using madplay with no difficulties at all. I have not tried
mpg321, since madplay has a nice console control system while
playing material. But on my 9.1 system it works great. I have an
sblive card and am using alsa 0.9.8 drivers with OSS emulation.

Chuck

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Adam Myrow wrote:

> Somebody mentioned that they were having horribly distorted MP3 playback
> under Slackware 9.1.  I hadn't noticed this because I mostly have OGG
> Vorbis files, and the times I do play an MP3 file, I use trplayer.
> However, I started doing some testing of various MP3 players, and have
> come to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the MAD
> library that ships with Slackware 9.1.  Both MPG321 and Madplay use this
> library for MP3 playback, and both have seriously messed up audio output.
> In the case of MPG321, it is horribly distorted with a steady clicking
> sound.  With Madplay, there is a loud hissing noise.  I found that Zinf,
> Trplayer, and mpg123 which is in the extra directory all yield correct MP3
> playback.  There is also a very simple player called AMP which comes with
> Slackware 9.1.  It works correctly as well, but has absolutely no options
> other than playing the file.  I.E. no fast-forward, shuffle, etc.  So, any
> of those will work.  I don't know if downloading the latest version of the
> Mad library would help, but it might.

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)
 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh