Fragmented speech using Redhat 8.0 and Apollo2

Sheila Acock sheilac at sheilac.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 19:40:54 EST 2003

Hi Janina,

No, I haven't.  As I said, the speech is so unintelligible that I
haven't really tried anything much.  If it might help, I will try and
get sighted assistance with doing this, but are there instructions on
how to accomplish it?  I am really rather daunted by the whole thing.

Thanks.

Sheila.

In message <20031109000250.GO6622 at rednote.net>, Janina Sajka
<janina at rednote.net> writes
>Hi, Sheila:
>
>Have you downloaded and installed the latest Speakup Modified kernels
>for Red Hat 8 available on the web site? These contain the CVS version
>of Speakup and new drivers for the Apollo.
>
>You are correct that this synth has been problematic. I'm not yet clear
>whether the issues are well and thoroughly resolved myself.
>

>Sheila Acock writes:
>> From: Sheila Acock <sheilac at sheilac.demon.co.uk>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please don't shoot me down or tell me to go and read the documentation.
>> I was really keen to try Linux, and have spent many more hours than I
>> ought to have done reading documentation, but I can't say it came
>> together as a coherent whole, and I have had so many problems, I am
>> feeling quite discouraged.
>>
>>  Having read the HowTo about installing Redhat with Speakup, I decided
>> to take the plunge and buy a box set in the hope that I could get a
>> system up  and running to play with fairly quickly.
>>
>> I won't bore you with details of the problems encountered, but I now
>> have Redhat 8.0 running on a system with an Athlon 850  processor, with
>> 250 mb memory and an Apollo2 synth.  The trouble is, the speech is so
>> disjointed I am having difficulty making much sense of it.
>>
>> Looking back through the List archive, I see that a couple of people
>> reported a similar problem using Apollo2 and Redhat 8 back in February.
>> There did not seem to be a completely satisfactory solution, though one
>> person said that a suggestion involving "delay_time" and "jiffy_delta"
>> had helped to some extent.
>>
>> I have signed up for Janina's pre-Techshare Linux workshop, but I don't
>> think I'm going to make much progresss until I can get reasonable
>> speech, so any help in sorting this problem would be much appreciated,
>> remembering that I am a complete newbie and need things spelt out in
>> words of one syllable.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sheila.

Sheila Acock