Fragmented speech using Redhat 8.0 and Apollo2

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Nov 8 19:02:50 EST 2003

Hi, Sheila:

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Speakup Modified kernels
for Red Hat 8 available on the web site? These contain the CVS version
of Speakup and new drivers for the Apollo.

You are correct that this synth has been problematic. I'm not yet clear
whether the issues are well and thoroughly resolved myself.

Sheila Acock writes:
> From: Sheila Acock <sheilac at sheilac.demon.co.uk>
>
> Hi,
>
> Please don't shoot me down or tell me to go and read the documentation.
> I was really keen to try Linux, and have spent many more hours than I
> ought to have done reading documentation, but I can't say it came
> together as a coherent whole, and I have had so many problems, I am
> feeling quite discouraged.
>
>  Having read the HowTo about installing Redhat with Speakup, I decided
> to take the plunge and buy a box set in the hope that I could get a
> system up  and running to play with fairly quickly.
>
> I won't bore you with details of the problems encountered, but I now
> have Redhat 8.0 running on a system with an Athlon 850  processor, with
> 250 mb memory and an Apollo2 synth.  The trouble is, the speech is so
> disjointed I am having difficulty making much sense of it.
>
> Looking back through the List archive, I see that a couple of people
> reported a similar problem using Apollo2 and Redhat 8 back in February.
> There did not seem to be a completely satisfactory solution, though one
> person said that a suggestion involving "delay_time" and "jiffy_delta"
> had helped to some extent.
>
> I have signed up for Janina's pre-Techshare Linux workshop, but I don't
> think I'm going to make much progresss until I can get reasonable
> speech, so any help in sorting this problem would be much appreciated,
> remembering that I am a complete newbie and need things spelt out in
> words of one syllable.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sheila.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group