strange communication

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Nov 4 22:01:14 EST 2003

Well, yes, free speech and not free beer.

And, RH Enterprise won't be downloadable, at least not as far as I'm
aware. I'd be extremely surprised.

What will be downloadable is Fedora Core 1.0.

Jacob Schmude writes:
> From: "Jacob Schmude" <jschmude at adelphia.net>
>
> Hi
> Actually, that's not true. The gpl states that anyone may charge money for a product, as long as the source is distributed with it. The gpl doesn't say that the
> product has to be freely downloadable, it says that the source must be provided and that the user has the right to modify it. Many people seem to interpret this
> as the product must be available at no cost, which is not true. RH is completely entitled to charge money for enterprise linux and not make it freely
> downloadable, so long as they provide the source code with it. As the FSF says: think free speech not free beer.
> HTH
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:20:48 -0600 (CST), Nick Gawronski wrote:
>
> >Hi, You won't need to buy redhat enterprize linux if you don't want to.
> >The new version will be freely downloadable and if it is not then that
> >is a violation of the gpl.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group