strange communication

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 20:53:07 EST 2003

The way I interpret the GPL is that anybody has the right to give somebody
else a copy of the software.  That is, if Redhat Enterprise edition is
licensed under the GPL, then somebody could buy a copy, and copy it off
for their friends.  Those friends could make copies, etc.  In other words,
it makes legal what we often call software piracy.  The GNU web site makes
clear that they don't like the term "pirate" and that forbidding the
sharing of software is as wrong as forbidding the sharing of a recipe.
That's what they mean by freedom as I understand it.