using samba with windows xp professional

Allan Shaw technews at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 4 14:45:52 EST 2003

... If your speaking of the samba file sharing service for Windows there
isn't much you have to do in order to share files with a Windows XP Pro
workstation.

Using SAMBA create a share for a folder on your Linux box, be careful of
upper and lower case characters.
Once this is done any share you've created should show up in the My
Neighbourhood Places on your XP workstation, give it a second or to,
to  show up in the list.
You can also create a shortcut or map a network drive to this share as you
would with any other shared environment.
You don't have to tell XP where the SAMBA server/service is since it really
isn't a server but a service.
The only thing you might have to do is make sure that the File and Printer
sharing service is active and running on your XP box.