Speakup doesn't speak at booting

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Nov 1 23:01:58 EST 2003

If your RH9 iso images are fairly recent, you should create an initrd
with your synth like this:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-[version].img
--with=speakup_[speakup_synth_keyword] [kernel-version]

As an example, my synth is an ltlk and my kernel version is 2.4.22, so I
would do:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-2.4.22.img --with=speakup_ltlk 2.4.22

Observe the last few lines of output. It should clearly indicate that
your synth driver from Speakup is being added to the initrd. If not, you
did something wrong--or your iso's are too old (a couple of months or
more).

PS: You didn't get Lynx? So, you didn't do the "everything" install as
recommended in the HOWTO? That's why we recommend "everything." Things
like that.

RK writes:
> From: "RK" <BlindGeek007 at comcast.net>
>
> Hello all,
> I just installed RH 9 using the ISO images from the Speakup modified Redhat
> installation page, and following the instructions.  The install went ok
> (although I'm missing Lynx).  However, I booted for the first time and
> entered
>
> setserial ttys0 uart none
> modprobe speakup_dectlk
> This works, but it doesn't make the system speak right at boot, I have to
> enter these commands every time I boot the system. Any way to get around
> this?
> Also another question:
> I want to install Gnome 2.4 and try Gnopernicus. How do I get there from
> RH9?
> And my final question for now:
> Does Speakup support software synthesizers yet? If so, how do I go about
> this?
>
> Please bear with, I am a newbie for about the fourth time (I spend too much
> time at work playing with Windows boxes).

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group