setting up a modem

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sun May 25 06:20:22 EDT 2003

I prefer ISAPNP in the kernel myself.  It works IMHO much better than the
old ISAPNP utilities.  You can look in /proc/isapnp for its output, and it
handles things fairly nicely.  Some modems will automatically get set up
if they are on a standard IRQ.  On the other hand, I remember something
about Rockwell modems not being fully functional in Linux.  Here is what
the Modem-Howto says on the subject.  Is your modem perhaps one of these
older Rockwell modems that it is talking about?

2.9.2.  Rockwell (RPI) Drivers

  Some older Rockwell chips need Rockwell RPI (Rockwell Protocol
  Interface) drivers for compression and error correction.  They can
  still be used with Linux even though the driver software works only
  under MS Windows.  This is because the MS Windows software (which you
  don't have) does only compression and error correction.  If you are
  willing to operate the modem without compression and error correction
  then it's feasible to use it with Linux.  To do this you will need to
  disable RPI by sending the modem (via the initialization string) a
  "RPI disable" command each time you power on your modem.  On my old
  modem this command was +H0.  Not having data compression available
  makes it slower to get webpages but is just as fast when downloading
  files that are already compressed.