Modular speakup

Justin Ekis j_ekis at adelphia.net
Fri May 23 11:22:51 EDT 2003

Hi all,
I see that cvs speakup can now be compiled as modules. I really like this
and  will be trying it once I get a GNU/Linux system installed again. I have
a few question thoughs.

First, if speakup is compiled entirely as modules, how long does it take
before the system will start talking when you boot? I assume it won't be
instantly.
When speakup is updated, if I have it as modules can I just recompile
speakup without having to rebuild the kernel?
Now here's the big question. If I have a second system running the same
version of the kernel but with different configuration, can I just drop the
speakup modules in there and have it work? Probably not, just thought I'd
ask and make sure.
A less extreme case, how about if both systems are running the exact same
kernel, for example one provided by the distro. Are the modules
interchangeable then?

Thanks,
Justin