oggenc quality levels

Charles Crawford ccrawford at acb.org
Fri May 23 06:24:49 EDT 2003

I used oggenc and a level of 7 or 9 and can't remember.  I have to say
that for my purposes and I am serious about listening, I do not find OGG
sufficiently compelling to use it.  I suppose if I had started with OGG
rather than MP3 then I might have a different view.  Converting all that
stuff all over agian would be a royal pain.  Grin.

On Thu, 22 May 2003,
Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> To any and all who have had a good amount of experience converting music CDs to
> ogg files:
> Do you have an oppinion on the quality level that should be used in converting
> music CDs? Of course, the higher the quality level you choose, the bigger the
> file; on the other hand, one doesn't want to make poor quality files just to
> save as much space as possible. I'm satisfied with '-q 0" for most reading
> material,files, but am thinking that perhaps i should use at least the default "-q 3" or
> maybe higher for my music despite the increase in size.
> Since they are just for my own use I don't need to be ultraprofessional, but i
> don't want to be sloppy either.
> Thanks.
>
> Cheryl

-- Charlie Crawford