Durability of burned cds with .ogg files

erik burggraaf erik at erik-burggraaf.com
Sun May 18 11:05:03 EDT 2003

Hi Cheryl,  Recently I ran into the space prob myself.  Two cabinets full of
slim cases, at the time over 200 CD's, now the number is well over 300.  The
ogg files will be just as durable on CD as MP3, but rather than tamper with
the actual files, I threw out my slims.  I'm now in the process of moving
the cd's to large binders which can be carried over the shoulder.  Each one
holds 208 cd's, costs $30 canadian, and takes up less than one tenth of the
space of all those cabinets.  This also has the advantage that I don't have
to toss out all my otherwise perfectly good CD's and burn new, saving oodles
of time and money.  Right now, I am examining database programs which index
the contents of data cd's, and write it to a text file.  I will then put the
text file on a disk, and stick it in the front of the first binder.  The
text file will report the page and disk number of each book, even if I have
to go in and do this much myself, and then I will know exactly where to put
my hands on any book any time.
The only problem I might run into is if my sister comes over and pulls all
the disks out then doesn't replace them in the proper order, lol.  I will
place my favourite database program on the library website when I decide
which my favourite is, and if you're interested, I will send you the link so
you can check it out.
Hope this helps,
Erik