Durability of burned cds with .ogg files

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Sun May 18 10:54:24 EDT 2003

Hi all.
I have a really large collection of CDs, which of course takes up a lot of
space. I have been considering converting a lot of these to .ogg files and
putting the .ogg files onto cd. I wondered how durable the CDs/.ogg files would
be. In people's experience, do the CDs malfunction or the files corrupt after a
period of time or do they have as reasonable a lifespan as normal CDs? Also, I
had debated whether I should be converting to .ogg files or .mp3 files. I
frankly like the .ogg files better. the only advantage to .mp3 files would be
that I could put them on an mp3 player that plays mp3 cds. However, I do have
both a laptop computer and desktop computer with sound so I don't know that this
would really matter to me so much.
Any advice and comments would be welcome.
Thanks.

Cheryl