broke Speakup

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Fri May 16 22:45:24 EDT 2003

Friends,

Well not sure what happen and exactly what broke what. I noticed that I
couldn't get ssh to let me into any machines on the network, notice I
couldn't get Speakfreely or any ftp client functioning, but I could ping
machines in and out of the network. So I assumed something got broken
when I did an dist-upgrade on my box; this is Debian Sid. In any case
after the upgrade things seemed ok so assumed all was well. These
problems showed up nearly 12 hours later. In any case I couldn't figure
out what the deal was and so recalled I needed ip multi-casting in the
kernel so went ahead and cooked a new kernel. That was the only option I
added in. So upon reboot I found the doubletalk external came up
chattering, but then I couldn't get it to shutup for nothing and then
the box just seem to hang after the buffer ran out of chatter.
I got the box up with the old kernel and all seemed back to normal.
The old kernel is 2.4.19 the new was 2.4.20. Now the 2.4.20 was working
yesterday so I wonder if compiling a new kernel caused a problem. I did
notice the symlinks for linux, asm, and scsi were no longer in
/usr/include, but instead actual directories were there. I don't know if
this matters, but I went ahead and removed them and pointed the symlinks
back to the kernel tree.
So, any thoughts? I'll report if I can get the new 2.4.20 kernel working
that I'm creating now.

tia,
Scott