How to get viavoice working (was Re: where did viavoice go?)

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Fri May 9 13:53:10 EDT 2003

On 05/09/03 11:31 AM -0400, Thomas D. Ward wrote:
> In all honesty festival is the better choice here. Viavoice is rapidly
> getting out dated, and it has problems with certain sound cards which makes
> speech real choppy.
> I suggest using festival or freetts with gnopernicus which I have tested
> with the latest build of gnopernicus on a Red Hat 9 system.

I have been working with gnopernicus with festival on a debian system and have had
next to no luck getting it to do anything useful. I can get the thing to
talk, but the documentation (if you can call it that) leaves much to be
desired. Perhapse we should pool our resources and hire them a bilingual
person for documentation, but anyhow, what tasks have you been able to
perform with gnopernicus, and what resource have you been using to
figure it out? Thank you for any help you can provide. I apologise for
sounding off about things, but I have been seeing vaporware for
gnopernicus and the *wonderful* world of xwindows since last summer and
I have yet to really access anything with it.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.