best way to install rh9?

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Wed May 7 23:14:02 EDT 2003

Hi
I'm thinking about giving redhat 9 a shot. I've been out of the rh world
for quite a while--ever since 7.2, which I didn't care for. Since rh9 lacks
speakup, what's the easiest way to install it? Should I use a kickstart
file or install by telnet? I'm leaning toward kickstart file, as the other
computer on my 2-computer network does not have linux on it and I'm not
sure how well a windows telnet client with a windows screen reader would
work in giving me feedback. It's the family computer and they like that
micro$hit. Just want some opinions here.
next question: Is there a way that, after creating a kickstart file, I can
test it for parse/syntax errors? Is there a program that will do this that
I can get ahold of? I'd rather not find out during installation that I
messed up and blew my hd partitions away, or made some other stupid mistake.
final question: In rh9's kickstart docs it says that speakup and speakup_lt
are keyboard map options you can pick from. But rh9 doesn't have speakup.
Are these keymaps still available even though speakup isn't, because if
they are, I'll set the map that way from the start. If not I'll need the
kbd speakup rpm in addition the the kernel rpm for the Athlon which I can
grab easily enough. At least I assume that's what the kbd rpm on
linux-speakup.org is for. Also, has anyone patched cvs speakup into rh's
kernel source, or do I need a clean source?