alsa and kernel

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 6 10:35:17 EDT 2003

here's how I see it.
personally, I think you're going about this arse about face.
make yur kernel. with the modules,
then after running lilo and rebooting assuming of course you've copied
bzImage to where /vmlinuz lives on your system,
cd /usr/src/alsa-driver-xxx where xxx is the version number,
and first to clean up any junk do make clean.
then ./configure
then make
then make install.
after make install ias completed,
run the snddevices script located in the alsa-driver-xxx directory by
issuing the following.
./snddevices
then, you need to edit /etc/modules.conf
or if you're using debian,
/etc/modutils/modules
or create a file in /etc/modutils called alsa and provide the relevant
information for your card.
I can't tell you off hand how to do it now but I'm sure someone else on
this list can.
then run the command /etc/init.d/alsasound restart unless you're running
slackware and then you'll need to do everything by hand
and a bit of interesting tweeking however, I digress,
once alsa is running with no errors, compile your libs and utils by
first compiling the libs then the utils cause the utils depend on the
libs etc etc.
now once you've done all that, type alsactl store to create an
/etc/asound.state file and then work on unmuting and setting volume and
captue levels from there.
hth.

--
Shaun Oliver

"Before I knew the best part of my life had come, it had gone."

EMAIL: shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
ICQ: 76958435
YAHOO: blindman01_2000
MSN: blindman_2001 at hotmail.com