Redhat!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon May 5 23:38:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Lorenzo Prince wrote:

> I LOVE REDHAT!!!!!!!!!  So many more apps!  Works so much better!
> Timidity actually has a command-line interface, which it does not have in
> Slackware.  And it actually gives my midi files halfway decent sound.  And
> it's easy to configure all the stuff.  Plus, if I want, I can still edit
> the files.  I would recommend RH to anyone from those just starting out to
> the most experienced Linux user.

Actually, the version of Timidity that ships with Slackware is a part of
KDE.  It is an extremely ancient version.  As for it sounding halfway
decent, if you've got a high-speed connection or a lot of time, go and get
the large patch set from http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html.  The
site uses frames, unfortunately, but just pick the frame that says
"contents."  Back when I got them, I also had to get rar for Linux
working, but once they are installed and the configuration files are set
up, the difference is amazing.  Sure, it's no substitute for the real
thing, but it's by far the best MIDI playback I've ever heard from a
computer.