kernel stuff

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon May 5 23:14:34 EDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, jack mendez wrote:

> make mrproper
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules install

I see three problems here.  The "make mrproper" wipes out any
configuration files, so you wouldn't want to do "make oldconfig" after
that.  "Make oldconfig" is for using an existing configuration and
answering only new questions.  If you really want to use it, either don';t
do the "make mrproper," or copy the .config file somewhere else and back
again after the "make mrproper."  The second problem is that you should
use "make bzImage" to build the kernel.  That is case-sensitive which
means you have to capitalize the I.  Lastly, the command is "make
modules_install."  Good luck.  Once you've got a custom kernel that you
are satisfied with, copy the ".config" file from the kernel source tree to
a safe place so you can re-use it if needed.