Broadcast Ping

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat May 3 17:23:14 EDT 2003

Hi, Darrell:

Sorry to have lost the thread, but I've had several messages get denied
on the list this afternoon and can't take the time to untangle all that.

So, I'm not sure you got my reply to your question or not. If so, please
pardon the duplication.

The answer is that I don't know, but I suspect it could be a case of
Windows clients which don't seem to respond to broadcast pings. Is that
possible? Linux boxes will respond, but Windows ones don't appear to in
my limited experience with this.

I have recent experience at Charlie's shop where there are two Linux
boxes which respond fine, while none of the Windows ones do.

So, to smoke out Windows machines, I've turned to nmap.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development