telnet installation of Redhat

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat May 3 10:30:31 EDT 2003

Here's how to use telnet to install Red Hat 9. Of course you need two
computers to do this. I will refer to the machine where Red Hat 9 is
being installed as the target system. I will refer to the other computer
as the control system.

1.)	Obtain RH 9 either on media, or as ISO images. You may install
from the iso images if you can put them on a partition on the target
system that you will not be formatting during your installation.

2.)	Boot the installation on the target system using either floppy
disks or the first installation CD ROM. At the boot> prompt type:

	text telnet

		If you're using floppy disks, you may need more than one
		disk in order to get all the drivers the installation
		will require. In that case you would type the following
		at the boot> prompt:

	text dd telnet

		You will not have speech during this process. You need
		to monitor disk activity to know when to take the next
		action. The pause at the boot> prompt is short--only 10
		seconds by default, though you can edit that value by
		editing the syslinux.cfg file on your boot media. You
		press enter twice while swapping floppy disks.

3.)	When the last of your boot media stops, press TAB once and then
press ENTER.

4.)	At this point you've finished working on the target system and
can switch to the control system.
5.)	Ping the broadcast address of your network to discover the
address assigned to your target system.

6.)	Telnet to the address of the target system and proceed with the
Red Hat installation.

Note that lengthy paragraphs can be written about step 5. I'll assume
you know how to do step 5 unless you ask for help with that.

Additional installation help is available in the HOWTO at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

which will contain the telnet process when we update it for Red Hat 9.
Also, consult Red Hat's excellent online documentation at:

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/rhl9.html