help with cvs speakup

Michael Damien Curran mick at jantrid.net
Thu May 1 08:51:15 EDT 2003

Hi all,
I have patched a 2.4.20 kernel with the newist cvs speakup (using the
checkout script).
I have said y to the speakup doubletalk internal driver and also to the
speakup bns driver.
I compiled the kernel fine and installed it fine. now: when I reboot I get
"doubletalk pc found" or "braille and speak found" and then nothing, can't
move around with the speakup cursor, don't get any kernel console
messages... just nothing. This has been the case through all the cvs updates
from the start of speakup2 up until my last cvs checkout which was 10
minutes ago.

I have also tried not using the checkout script and just manually grabbbing
speakup from cvs and then ./speakup/install (this does exactly the same).

speakup-1.5 works absolutly fine.

I am running Debian Testing on both the machines I've tried it on. (A
Toshiba Te2000 laptop and a Pentium3 733 desktop). The same results.
Is there something new I have to do to get speakup2 to work? any special
kernel parameters (excluding speakup_synth=bns/dtlk)?
And in my kernel config I said y to speakup, y to bns, y to dtlk, bns to
default synth and y to use speakup as default keymap.
Is there any other things I need to say y to in the kernel?
I do obviously have VT support and console on VT support, I also have the
standard serial support etc.

I'm really looking forward to using speakup2, from the emails I've been
reading today, its going pretty fantasticly ... (except for on my machines).

Thanks
Mick

--
Michael D. Curran