bogus tty entry

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Mar 28 22:05:53 EST 2003

Joseph C. Lininger staggered into view and mumbled:

>I know you don't want to reboot, but I would recommend just that. The
>slackware 8.0 boot scripts will clear out the utmp file when you do this.
>They issue a "cat /dev/null > /var/run/utmp" which effectively
>clears the file out. Don't do this yourself as the system won't function
>right until you reboot if you do. Logins, runlevel, and some other things
>will break.

Thanks for the suggestion.  As it happens, the power was interrupted
here briefly today, so my system has been rebooted.  There are no
more bogus tty entries on my system.  Thanks to everyone for your
input, and have a _great_ weekend!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
_PI = 4 * ARCTAN (1)