Speakup Bugs

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 1 15:18:56 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Scott Howell wrote:

> Not all of these are bugs and probably none of them are. I can't say
> much on some of these issues because I don't have a Decktalk, but the
> deal on the char Z being spoken as zed is not a bug at all. I'm not

It's not?  Why doesn't it just say "z", as it does with all of the other
characters?  If I wanted to hear a phonetic, I would press the key
combination therefore.  If I am just typing a word, I don't really want to
hear any phonetic characters.  Further, if it's going to say the Z
phonetic when ever it is encountered, why not the B, V, etc.?
Also, if this is a feature, where is it documented?

> them either. THe point is you are perhaps chasing ghosts on some of
> these issues.

Perhaps.  However, if I hit spell on an acronym "WPHT" (a radio station),
for example, I don't really care to hear: "W P H command error in command
T", or with "README", I don't want to hear "R E A command error in command
D  Command Error In String Value 00000000 E".  That is annoying, and
sounds rather bugish to me.
Maybe it is a ghost, but it is still something that seems less like a
feature, and more like a bug, to me.

> I can say one thing, Speakup is by far a more stable program than
> anything that is being used in the windows world and is a hell of a lot
> more simple to use.

Relacs, I'm not attacking it, just reporting some potential bugs.  I'm no
fan of Bill's wonderful operating systems, as most know.

Luke