lilo and ntfs

igueths at attbi.com igueths at attbi.com
Thu Jun 26 00:40:02 EDT 2003

Hi all. Thanks for the replies Lorenzo and Mat, I will finish the Debian
install on my friend's box tomorrow in that case. Just a question though. As
far as I know, according to a normal boot process the Bios first checks for
the presence of any other boot media, and then executes the boot loader which
reads the Mbr. If I were to overwrite the mbr, wouldn't the nt loader have a
fit because its mbr is nowhere to be found? Or would the presence of the nt
loader go away entirely? I am just asking because as far as I have known an
MBR is supposed to be contained on Secrot 0 of the hard disk. Since an
operating system is being installed to somewhere around cylinder 2131, I was
just curious as to how Lilo would access the existing MBR to overwrite it?