debian problems

Mikko Liukko mikko.liukko at dnainternet.net
Mon Jun 23 04:24:55 EDT 2003

Hi Alex

Tasksel should not do that, but be carefull what you choose i.e. games will
install x, you could just leave everything unchecked and then add your
desired packackes manually with apt-get install packagename.
like apt-get install apache apt-get-install nano etc...

Now if you have installed X Gnome etc then removing them is possible with
following commands
list installed packages dbkg -l
see if x is installed dpkg -l | grep xfree
use switch -s with apt-get to simulate what would be done.
apt-get remove xlib* -s
and if it shows that no vital packages are to be removed then run apt-get
without -s
apt-get remove xlib*
and then
apt-get remove xfont*
apt-get remove xfree*

I don't have at the moment a running debian installation so above came from
memory and i possibly fogot something.
Removing x and its dependencies this way is dangerous but fairly efective.
You could use package called aptitude.

Cheers Mikko