interesting observation about kernel 2.4.21

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 21:58:35 EDT 2003

I just installed Linux kernel 2.4.21 and noticed something interesting.
I believe that it was Gregory Nowak who stated that Linux 2.4.21 works
with Speakup 1.5 despite one failed patch to miscdevice.h.  I looked at
miscdevice.h and was quite surprised to see this line of code.

#define SYNTH_MINOR             25

This is the code to define /dev/synth which is a part of Speakup.  This was
before patching and still present in the .orig file after patching.  In
fact, the reason for the failed patch is that it is already applied.  This
makes the /dev/synth device part of the stock kernel source as of 2.4.21.
Oddly, I found nothing about this in the ChangeLog-2.4.21 file.  Are the
kernel folks about to integrate Speakup in the kernel?