off-topic: usb to serial

Thomas D. Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 19:18:17 EDT 2003

Hi, the  belkin usb to serial convertor works great with Linux.
You just need to have all the proper modules compiled for your kernel and
loaded. Off the top of my head I know you need the standard USB driver, USB
serial support, and I think there was another one.
At anyrate the kernel docs has all the information stating what you need to
get your USB to serial convertor working.
However, getting speakup to recognize that non-standard serial port might be
another matter. I don't have speakup on my Linux computer at this time to
try it out. I'm using a different screen reader at the moment which works
fine with the USB serial convertor.